Monday, May 17, 2004

FIGUERES, SPAIN

Danny and I boarded the train that would bring us to a small town called Figueres, 2 hours outside Barcelona after a much needed greasy breakfast in McDonalds. Figueres is located near the French border. The language spoken here is a mixture of Spanish, Catalan and a bit of French. You can actually see the French Alps as you go into Figueres.

Yes, I´ve had my first Maccas in Spain. I will try to limit myself to one McD trip in every country. It is on this trip that I saw the largest Asian population ever in my time in Spain - I counted there were 6 Asians altogether, who knew each other and got off in the same stop. A small town called Sils. I wonder what the Asian population in that town is...

Figueres on a Sunday afternoon was very much like any other small town. It is dead. The weather was extremely nice though. The sun was shining with a slight cool breeze. We are near the French border and the resort town of Costa Brava, where the rich and famous alternate between Nice, Monaco and other sun tanning places. It is also the birthplace of the infamous Salvador Dali.

An expensive taxi ride to Hotel Pirineos - which is a really nice hotel by our standards. Get this! We actually have a balcony and a bath tub. That is indeed a luxury. My mind quickly raced to the pile of dirty laundry I have in my bag. Hmm, washing time! And we have TV in our room. Spanish TV all the way! :) Even all the films on the cable channels were dubbed in Spanish.

I explored the town alone whilst Danny bummed in the room. I stumbled into La Rambla, yes this little town has it own La Rambla. It was a plaza with lots of benches under trees where one can hang out and absorp the scent of Figueres. The streets were narrow and very quiet that afternoon. There were a few cafes that were catered for tourists that were open. It was then that I began to look up and noticed numerous street decor light that was dated to last christmas. Almost every street has got one. It was a sight to see at night.

FIGUERES ON A SUNDAY NIGHT

Figueres at night made me fell in love with the place. Since not many places were open, we just took a stroll down various alley ways and took lots of glorious photos. The cool breeze was great, too. It was one of those perfect evenings lovers dreamed of. We didn´t do much that evening. Had dinner and drinks and went back to the hotel and sleep.

getting ready for a fresh start tomorrow cynth goes to sleep

No comments: