HUSTLED IN HAPPENING AMSTERDAM
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
June 3-4
Talk about BUZZ! Amsterdam is all buzz and noise. Tourists, locals, all created some incongruous symphony that makes up for the city. So I did the usual Amsterdam thing.. You know, the red light district, the Rijkmuseum (which was expensive and not have much to offer at all due to their renovation), the Van Gogh Museum (another expensive one..) and the Anne Frank Huis (which is great and moving and just a must see attraction)and oh, the canal cruise and FOAm - centre for photography (which was cool).
The most bizarre experience that I had must have been being pickep up for casual sex. It's true that it is Amsterdam we're talking about... Nonetheless, I didn't think it would happen to me. I was strolling along, and this guy was unlocking his bike from the stand and spoke to me in Dutch as I passed him. "Sorry, I can't speak Dutch.., " I said to him thinking that he was probably asking for time or something. "Oh, How are you? I would like to talk to you, if it is okay.." My curiosity rised.
C: "That depends on what you want to talk about"
M: (heavy Dutch accent, coarse voice)
"Well, I like to have fun and I like to have sex. How about you?
What do you like to do?"
At this point it's beginning to get scarry, because although it's still broad daylight the street was quiet.
C: "Hmm, I like not talking to you for starters.."
M: "Oh, that's okay. Thank you. Have a nice day!"
The man turned his bicycle around.
I was relieved. It's one thing being picked up and then leads to sex, but to be picked up straight into sex was not something I'm prepared for. Not even in Amsterdam.
CHILLY WIND OF HOLLAND
Delft, The Netherlands
June 2
Summer apparently has not made itself into Holland yet. The wind cuts through the bone as I walked into the little town called Delft. I'm staying with an old school friend of mine, Roberto - who I haven't seen in about 10 years. We keep in touch, thanks to technology but we've not physically seen each other for that long. We found each other though, without too much drama. Delft is a small town about 55 minutes outside Amsterdam. It's majority of the population is students who attend the famous Delft Techical University. In the summer time, when students go home, they're replaced by tourists who drop by to see Delftware. The blue porcelain work Delft is most well known for.
Eto showed me around Delft. It's a really nice little town. Everyone here rides a bicycle. And they're really good at it. I love it when they signal with their hand or even make a ring ring sound if they have no bells. The buildings are old, and the city centre is probably only about 2 blocks. Canals run through the city centrum and cafes, bakeries and other shops are on the side.
I could easily live here
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment