AMERICANS WAY TOO MANY..
Prague, Czech Republic
22-24 June 2004
I was looking forward to Prague but nothing could prepare me for the number of American tourists walking around. I didn't like Prague on the first day. The train information person was a bitch, and the hostel I was staying at have more large groups so it's kinda hard to meet people at the time. But that night I got myself to the AgHarta Jazz Bar and I was fine. It was exactly what I need,... Nothing that a good music couldn't cure. The venue is small-ish and the atmosphere was very intimate. It's cool. I could go back over and over. Unfortunately I'm only staying 3 nights there. Haha...
All the horrible weather forecast I read in Hamburg was totally untrue. The sun was shining throughout and I could walk around in tank tops and sandals. How great was that? Great summer weather. If only it wasn't for the tourists. On the second day I just walked everywhere - Prague Castle, Jewish Quarter, everything I was interested to see was done on the second day. I even managed to see the Frank and Ginger Dancing Building (the one that was designed by Frank O. Gehry). That was pretty cool but it definitely looked better in design books.
That night was the night when Czech Republic was playing Germany in Euro 2004 match. The Satrometska Namesti - The old town plaza was filled with football supporters crowding in front of the huge screens. That was really amazing!! The smell of sausages and beer was in the air and people were chanting. The cloud was closing in though, and it could pour any minute. And it did... I ran to the nearest shelter as soon as the first drop of rain fell. But, those hardcore fans were going full on and they were doing their rain dance with the Czech flag.. Then it poured even harder and harder, wind was blowing the rain everywhere and there's no way you wouldn't get wet. Even if you're in a shelter. That was very funny... All of a sudden those hardcore rain dance stopped and the people were scattered all over the place.
It continued raining for about 15 minutes and then it cleared. It cleared right before the kick off which was good. Finally I watched a Euro 2004 game in a big screen with hundreds of die hard Czech fans. That was cool.
No going out at night after that. I was too damn tired.
My last day at Prague was spent walking around the city. I changed my opinion about the city. I didn't hate it as much, I can even like it. In a way it is one of those cities which you have to quality time in to feel at home. Prague is like that. That last night I partied hard. I went with Andrea, who writes for a travel guide to 7 night spots. The majority of the places was dead or showing football (It was Portugal-England, which ended tragically for England). But Radost FX was totally cool!!! Radost FX is the last place we went to and we could have food!! The vegan food was great, the lounge is amazing and the club was rockin. It is highly recommended for all who visits Prague.
As I walked back to the hostel I thought to myself, "I'm soooo going to regret this in the morning." Yeah, I have a 9am train to catch to Salzburg.
Wish me luck people, there's a tricky connection I have to make at Summerau. 5 Minutes to hop off and hop into another train.
In Salzburg I'm going to meet Sarah, who's flying in from Philadelphia, USA.
Very very cool! Can't wait to see her.
Nervous like hell
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment